Thursday, July 12, 2012

What I Do In My Spare Time


Okay, so my son proposes to the most delightful, wonderful girl in the universe. We re all head over heels about her. They give me a year's notice on the wedding date. So what do I do? Run out and help with wedding things? Get a subscription to Brides Magazine? Noooo, I'm the mother of the groom. I remodel the house, of course!

Let me digress just a tad. I had some surgery in January that, um, wasn't quite as successful as we had hoped it would be. So I spent about two and a half months in bed...watching HGTV. I guess you can see where I'm going with this.

I am a 'blue' person but after (I'm embarrassed to say) 13 years of blue walls with white trim and doors, I was sick of it. So I called “the man” a fellow who has done other remodeling for me, and we were off to the races!

The truck showed up with 400 feet of trim and baseboards, 10 doors and 13 door jambs (Don’t try to figure out the numbers, they work.) The main thing is none of it has been stained.

I don’t want to say that I'm a fusspot…but I'm a fusspot. I know that no one can stain all this stuff better than me. (Okay, you need proof – Last year when I remodeled another couple of rooms “the man” was incredibly skeptical about letting me do the staining, When he saw the finished product, he offered me a job. (Thanks, but I only put myself through this hell for myself .)

I started on June 19th I’ve finished all the trim, all the door jambs and three doors. My house looks like a cross between a lumber yard and a warehouse. I have three sets of saw horses so that limits me on how many pieces I can do a day. (All this is going on in our great room and family room so you can imagine what fun everyone is having dancing around this mess.)
And the biggest pain is waiting for everything to dry before you can do the next coat. Isn’t that more than you ever wanted to know about staining!

While I'm waiting for things to dry, what better opportunity to empty out the closets that are destined for new doors. I'm finding clothes I haven’t worn since the Reagan Administration! (Oh how I wish I could still fit into them!) Obviously, closet cleaning is long overdue in this household.

My son decided to get married so why all the frenzy over remodeling? My relatives who haven’t visited in years will be coming!!!!

OMG, I need to re-model the front bathroom!!!

No comments: